Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mom's Day Off

We had a mommy spa day yesterday, where seven of us mommies met up for a day full of fun empty of children. It was the first time in a long time that many of us had been away from our kids, and although my kids are my world, it was a welcomed reprieve.

I was driving to the spa to meet the ladies when I realized I hadn't been alone in a vehicle in a non-residential area since I was on my way to the hospital the day Emma was born. So I plugged my iPod into the stereo, put it on shuffle, and cranked up the volume like a teenager experiencing the sweet taste of freedom for the very first time. The speakers unleashed the fury... Of Alvin and the Chipmunks. Next song. Raffi. Next song. Baby Einstein. Next song. Chipmunks again. Nevermind shuffle. Papa Roach on repeat it is.

I made it to the spa and couldn't wait for my massage. 80 minutes of silence and relaxation and time to focus on me... What more could a tired mom want? I climbed onto the massage table and sunk into a meditative trance when my therapist came in. And proceeded to talk about her 5 month old baby, how wonderful her baby is, how she picked her baby's name, the names of her future babies, the cute things her baby does, her pregnancy, her baby's birth, her friends' pregnancies and all subsequent births, her childhood, her parents' childhoods, her friends' childhoods... REALLY?!?!?!