Friday, August 28, 2009

Jordan's Big Boy Bed

Jordan got his very first big-boy bed yesterday. It's a racecar toddler bed with rails that go from the headboard to the middle of the bed. It's about a foot off the ground, so if he fell out, he would be safe. Amazingly, the entire bed came in a box about 2 feet x 3 feet x 2 inches. It fit in that tiny box because it came in a million pieces. I wanted to surprise Dave and have it all set up before he got home, so I thought I'd attempt to put it together. So I counted all the pieces and had everything all set up to go before I started the assembly. I really can't figure out why things for babies come in so many peices. The Exersaucer came in about 200 pieces. This bed was about the same. WHY?! Do the makers not understand that we parents have a difficult enough time putting together a sandwich while entertaining our little ones, let alone an instruction-reading-required-multi-tool-assembly-hundreds-of-tiny-choke-hazards piece of equipment? Anyway, I got the bed put together most of the way, and was trying to attach the footboard to the frame when Jordan decided to come pretend he was driving the bed on my lap. Very cute, and a lovely bit of gratification for all of my work. Then I realized that I was missing some screws. Where did I find them? Oh, only in my son's mouth. Awesome. This is exactly why I hate that things come in a million pieces. Thank God he didn't swallow those! I finished putting the bed together at last, and was feeling very proud of myself. I turned around to grab the screwdrivers to take them back out to their spots in the garage when I realized there were three screws sitting next to them. Upon review of the assembly booklet, I found that no extra pieces were included in the box. I didn't know where they could be missing from, so I did what any safety-conscious mother may or may not do... I weight checked it. Myself. The good news is that: 1) the bed holds ALOT of weight; 2) the matress totally covers up the bent bars on the frame! Woohoo!