Saturday, May 28, 2011

If You Give a Kid a Hall Pass...

The problem with a late nap is exactly this... It's one in the morning and Jordan wants to watch tv. But the tv is too bright so he wants to wear his sunglasses. But we can't find the sunglasses without turning on the light. So while Dave searches for the sunglasses, Jordan wants to go potty. But he can't see because it's too dark so he wants me to help him. But I can't see to help him and he doesn't want the light on. So I let him go with the light off and he pees all over my foot. Awesome. Now Dave has found the sunglasses but Jordan wants to watch tv in our bed because he doesn't want to watch Dave's show. We're in a bind because we don't want him to cry and wake Emma up... then we'd be dealing with conflicting demands, right? So we let him watch tv in the bed but now he's hungry because he missed dinner and he wants a snack. But I just washed the sheets today after the mess he made when he brought peanut butter in the bed this morning. I'm finding it ironic that Jordan's new favorite phrase is "What should we do?" I'm also feeling like we shouldn't have given the mouse a cookie. And I'm realizing that book is not so much a children's book as it is a parenting-for-dummies guide. Sometimes I just wish the "not it" game applied to parenting just as easily ;)