Friday, December 18, 2009

Belly Flops

We went to the Jelly Belly factory a few weeks ago, just for fun. While we were there, we bought a few pounds of jelly beans. I'm not really sure why. Anyway, today I have about two pounds of jelly beans on my kitchen floor. Because I underestimated my son's abilities. He knew exactly where the jelly beans were -- the third shelf up in the food cabinet. The third shelf up because it's the first shelf he can't possibly reach. Well, couldn't possibly reach most likely probably probably not couldn't is past tense. When I heard the first jelly bean fall from the third shelf and bounce on the floor I thought "Oh shoot... I better go clean that up and make sure Jordan can't reach the rest of them." It was a stupid thought though. Because as I was standing up I heard the horrible cascade of the other 7000 jelly beans as they bounced around on the floor. And looked over to see Jordan standing on his racecar cushy chair... which elevated him the extra 3.5 inches he needed to reach that third shelf without making the chair squeaking noise that would cause his mother to rush into the kitchen and prevent the Jelly Belly mayhem in the first place. And then, as I rushed into the kitchen to clean them up, Jordan rushed around the kitchen grabbing the jelly beans as quickly as his little fingers could go, and the boy turned into a hamster, and shoved an absurd amount of candy into his little mouth. Sometimes it really sucks to have a clever child.