Monday, October 12, 2009

These Are The Moments

Sometimes motherhood presents me with challenges I never thought I'd face. Sometimes it's as easy as how to get through a grocery store with two babies when one can't sit up in a cart yet. Sometimes it's as difficult as deciding how to discipline my toddler when I know that particular behavior came directly from my own bad behavior. But one of the biggest challenges I never thought I'd face is enjoying every moment.  I am incredibly fortunate to be able to stay home with my little ones. I think of it as a luxury, a blessing, and the hardest job I could ever imagine. There are many moments I genuinely don't enjoy, particularly when they involve cleaning up poop. But when I watch my son playing on the floor and I realize that he is almost always smiling, it makes it all worth it. When I lay down and snuggle up my daughter and read a book to her, and her tiny hand reaches up and crinkles the page and she giggles at the sound... These are the moments. They are the moments that you can choose to let slip away into the grayness of faded memories, or the moments you can think about and hold onto forever. I like to think they are the moments that make me smile just a little harder- that make the lines on my face just a little deeper- that may make me look older- but that I wear with pride, as a symbol of all of the beautiful moments I didn't miss out on.