Thursday, August 20, 2009

Oops, that's not bread.

We made our weekly trip to Costco today... always a fun excursion with two babies in tow. Ever since Emma grew out of the infant carseat (at three months old), it has been a challenge to get through any store quickly -- especially Costco. I now put Emma in the front pack and Jordan is either 1) in the basket of the regular cart or 2) tied to the flat cart by his leash. (Side note: I was totally against leashing one's children until I had two of my own... it's amazing how I became a hypocrite) So Emma was in the front pack and Jordan was in the cart basket on this particular occassion, and if you have ever tried lifting a flat of bottled water and getting it into the cart with a baby in a front pack, it's not an easy task. Costco trips become tactical feats when accompanied by my kids. While I was planning my next move in order to make it through the store as quickly as possible, I must have experienced a little brain-death. I saw a three-pack of freshly baked bread by the bakery so I grabbed that, thinking it would be a convenient and tasty treat for Jordan. We made it through the rest of the store with only a few mild hang-ups (again, I wasn't paying attention... and crashed into a woman with a cart full of more toilet paper than an elementary school could go through in a year, but I guess it was my fault even though she obviously couldn't see where she was going). After getting the kids loaded into their carseats and packing the car full to the ceiling (forgot to take the double stroller out of the trunk), we finally headed home. When we got home, Jordan was hungry, so I pulled out a loaf of the three-pack of fresh bread and cut off a hunk for him. He INHALED it. I gave him another slice and was shocked when he finished more than half of the loaf. Until I noticed a small label on the side of the packaging. "Pound cake." First ingredient: sugar. Always good for babies. I really need to pay more attention.