Sunday, September 13, 2009

Steaming Pool of Shoot

Jordan loves playing in the back yard, and we spend a lot of time out there to encourage his enjoyment of the outdoor world and foster his independence. But he often wanders around to the side of the house to eat all of our garden tomatoes and play on the pool equipment. It drives me nuts because I can't see him, and although I want him to be independent, that's too much for me. I'm still a normalish mom and I don't want him to get hurt. Plus I love tomatoes and he eats all the good ones. But anyway, he escaped to the side of the house one day and I ran over to retrieve him. He had climbed all the way behind the pool filter in the ten seconds it took me to get across the yard. A couple of days later, Dave took the garbage out and passed by the pool. How strange that the back yard was so hot and humid. How strange that the pool heater controls are a mere two feet off the ground, where a toddler could easily turn the dials on his way behind the pool filter. How strange that the entire swimming pool was 101 degrees. I didn't even know that was possible!