Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Burning Bag of Fire

We were making dinner last night, and Emma was sitting in the Bumbo chair on the counter next to us as we chopped fruits and vegetables to go in the chutney. We were using a plastic bag to put the skins and seeds in. Emma has just recently learned how to grab things, and I realized the bag was too close to her when she dumped it out all over the counter. I took the bag away from her and began cleaning up the mess when she started crying. I threw the bag away and grabbed a piece of bell pepper to snack on while I calmed her down. As the bell pepper passed my lips I instantly realized why Emma was crying. Her face was red and swollen around her mouth and suddenly mine was too. The jalapeƱo seeds that were in the bag (and now on both of our hands) can do that. How lovely for her... "I like milk, rice cereal, apples, not a huge fan of pears or prunes yet- what is this new food?..."